Aug 28, 2006

Fruit Fly Fatality

THIS IS NOT FOOD. However, all the ingredients are more or less natural and edible. Since you do not need a large amount of soap for this, I don't think it would hurt you if you happened to drink it.
  • Wine
  • Vinegar - (apple cider vinegar is most tempting to the fruit flies)
  • Honey
  • Dish soap
In a small bowl or something comparable, combine apprx. equal amounts of wine and vinegar. These give off the aroma of fermenting fruit. Yum! Dump some honey into it; at least enough to cover the bottom of the bowl. This is to make the victims stay put. Lastly, add a bit of dish soap, which makes the mixture slippery... Sloosh it all around a little bit to help the soap distribute. Place your concoction next to the picturesque bowl of fruit on the counter, and look forward to a fly-free atmosphere!

5 comments:

Fiona S M Bernhoft said...

Ha ha ha! I was thinking about this a couple of days ago when I was thinking about making a trap with which to catch bugs for my collection! I love you claire.

Daisy said...

Claire, you're my family's hero! We just got 40 pounds of bananas from my mom's glean and there are fruit flies galore. So gratias tibi ago! (sorry to lapse into Latin, I must resist those urges...) ;-)

Zenka said...

I remember when we made that that one time. I've never really remembered the recipe, so thanks bunches for it.

I feel like one of those people who writes into a newspaper cooking article or whatever and says "My mom made the best eggplant casserole I ever had. Unfortunately, she died last year, and now I can't find the recipe. I remember that it had..."
-missing eggplant in Colorado
To which Claire writes:
"sorry about your Mom. I had so many readers reply to this letter that I had to make every recipe I got to find the best one closest to the one you wanted. Hope these three are close!"

Claire Russell / Group 8 said...

Hahaha! I love cooking mags! Sheil, you and I will have to bake up a storm when I come, and vice-versa! Yum, I love you.

Unknown said...

I hope I'm not the first guy to ever comment on this site, because that is awkward.
Anyway, I just browsed your recipeis, and every one of them requires some ingredients that I don't have in my dorm.
Oh, and it might be cool to post a picture of the completed dish along with. (When I look through cookbooks, I pretty much browse until I find a picture I want to eat. Instead, I make the dish.)